Sunday, October 20, 2013

Let's get our can on!

Day Twenty.

Wash, peel, quarter, core, prep, repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat....

When we popped open those cans of applesauce my mother-in-law gave us, I had NO idea the prep work she had gone through in order to make that tiny quart of applesauce.  (I can now say tiny after seeing how much those apples shrink down!)   I will forever more appreciate how much work canning actually is.  

It was fun working together and very interesting to hear stories from her childhood--which the girls loved and ask for another the second she finished one.  




Making the applesauce is straight forward enough--I'm fairly sure I could do it again--but the actual canning process I'm not so positive I could remember on my own quite yet.

Not too sure what tomorrow will teach us, but we are having so much fun learning what the land around us can offer we are soaking in every moment--and enjoying some of the "fruits of our labor."  ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment