Thursday, October 31, 2013

Part Two -- The Balance

First, and most importantly, let me update the orphan water situation I wrote about a week ago.  Two more children have died in a new wave of dysentery and all of the remaining eighteen children are alive and receiving care.  Another orphanage has been found (by a team who got lost going to help the original orphanage) who is also suffering from the epidemic and have already lost five children.  Please look into http://abicongo.blogspot.com/ to get more information on how to help and continue to keep them in your thoughts and prayers. 

 
Day Thirty-one.

My thoughts from day twenty-seven have left me conflicted. 

On one hand I absolutely refuse to go back to turning a blind eye to the grave food and water conditions around they world.  It's unacceptable to me.  I will find a way to help.  I have returned to school, this time focusing on nursing (not so sure what I'll do with that business degree just yet).  I'm hoping that a nursing degree will eventually allow me (through both finances and knowledge) to travel on missions trips and make a difference to those in need. 

On the other hand I also know I must find some balance to my discoveries.  I need to find ways to help, but I also need to live my life and--more importantly--allow my kids to live theirs.  So how do I go from the knowledge to the implementation of helping without becoming a fanatic?  What is the balance?  Will I know it when I find it?  Is it possible?

Tomorrow we start our "Poverty Awareness" weeks (thanks Donnie for the great title).  What will it bring?  I am going into it with only a dab of excitement.  I am nervous it will be met with much more resistance from the small ones since living out of our pantry hasn't been nearly as hard as we imagined.  But I also feel the lessons will feel more tangible so that is an exciting thought to me. 

As the oldest said tonight: time for rice and beans.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment